Many people—especially kids—will sometimes notice bleeding from their gums when brushing or flossing their teeth. This can be a sign of a serious gum diseases like gingivitis.
Read more to learn about the causes of bleeding gums and what you can do to prevent it.
Below are some common reasons why gums bleed:
When you eat, tiny pieces of food become lodged in your gums. If those pieces of food don’t get brushed or flossed away, they can turn into bacteria and acid which form blood blisters in the pockets of your gums. Brushing and flossing can break open these blisters and release the blood from inside.
However, this is not the only reason your gums can bleed while brushing. Sometimes it’s the brushing itself that can cause bleeding. Using a firm back-and-forth brushing motion with hard bristles can irritate your gums and lead to bleeding.
You child should brush and floss regularly and see a dentist twice a year. Brushing only cleans about 60% of the surface area of your teeth. The remaining 40% is taken care of by flossing.
Brushing and flossing every day can help fight off the bacteria that leads to bleeding gums. Avoiding sugary foods and drinks can also help.
When brushing, your child should use a toothbrush with soft bristles and brush in a gentle, circular motion to prevent gum irritation. To floss your child’s teeth, just follow our easy step-by-step guide.
Besides bleeding gums, gum disease can also cause:
The best way to prevent gum disease as an adult is to learn proper oral care when you’re young. Learn how to make brushing fun for kids and schedule an appointment with a kid-friendly dentist at Kool Smiles.
Visit us at one of our locations, or give us a call today.
What do you do if your tooth fell out and the root is still intact? Depending on how long your tooth has been out of the socket and how well…Read Full Article
Several conditions can cause children to need a tooth extraction: damaged, loose, or chipped teeth, impacted wisdom teeth, tooth decay, gum disease and more. For families that need urgent care,…Read Full Article
At Kool Smiles, dental x-rays are painless and affordable. Many dental x-rays can cost as little as $10 and as much as $250, depending on the type of x-ray performed. Your…Read Full Article
Rotten teeth are the result of bacteria-consuming sugar and debris in your child's mouth. Rotten teeth forms toxic acids that damage your child's teeth. Once his or her tooth has decayed, there…Read Full Article
According to a recent dental report, nearly 28 percent of toddlers ages 2 to 5 have experienced some form of tooth decay. In fact, tooth decay has become the most…Read Full Article
Filling cavities in children's teeth can help restore teeth damaged by tooth decay. There are several types of fillings like gold, silver, plastic, and porcelain that can protect children’s smiles.…Read Full Article
Dental issues don’t just affect your teeth. When your gums begin to pull away from your teeth due to gum recession, there are several factors that help determine the total…Read Full Article
Front teeth are the most visible part of a smile. Repair work done to this area is especially important. You want your child's smile to be beautiful and bright. Keep…Read Full Article
For teens, braces are sometimes the best way to have straight teeth. Don't let the cost of braces for teens get in the way. It is possible for kids to…Read Full Article
Wondering about what braces cost for teenagers? How much you pay depends on what kind of braces your child gets and whether you have insurance. Many orthodontists accept state insurance…Read Full Article