If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
If you're a veteran, you could be eligible for free dental care through the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Your child's dental care may also be covered by an insurance program like TRICARE. It's…Read Full Article
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) can affect people differently. Some people feel continuous pain every day. Others have described an increase of pain throughout the day. BMS usually affects the top of…Read Full Article
You might be nervous about bringing your children to the dentist. Will they sit still? Will the dentists know how to talk to them? You don't need to worry about these issues…Read Full Article
At Kool Smiles, we don't just shape smiles, we also shape the lives of children all across the U.S. We were founded on the belief that every child deserves quality…Read Full Article
While dental care can be expensive, you can help cover the cost of your child's dental care and treatment with a TRICARE dental program. When you or a relative serve your…Read Full Article
Laser teeth cleaning costs are higher than traditional dental cleaning costs, but there are some distinct advantages. A Kool Smiles dentist can help you decide if laser treatment is right for your child, and…Read Full Article
If your child complains of tooth pain, he or she should see a dentist to evaluate the cause of the pain. The toothache may be a sign of a problem that…Read Full Article
Is your family trying to find a dental clinic designed specifically with kids and their parents in mind? Kool Smiles was made to provide high-quality, affordable dental care for children just…Read Full Article
When your child has a tooth removed, he or she should expect a little pain afterwards. But if your child is still in pain a few days after the procedure, he…Read Full Article
A teeth retainer can help straighten a child's teeth. Sometimes they are used alone, and other times they are used in addition to other orthodontic treatments, such as braces. The cost…Read Full Article