If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
Has your child chipped or broken a tooth? When this happens, it is considered a dental emergency, and your child needs to see their dentist right away to repair the…Read Full Article
At Kool Smiles, we believe that your family deserves access to affordable, high-quality dental care. That's why we offer low-cost dental options for kids and their families. We have more than 120…Read Full Article
Do your kids love to color? Do they like drawing pictures, writing letters, and learning new things? Kool Smiles has just the place for these curious and creative kids. Our collection…Read Full Article
Imagine your kids looking forward to going to the dentist. Imagine that while you're there, you and your kids are treated like family, and your kids get high-quality dental care…Read Full Article
If your child needs a root canal, you may be wondering if there are any alternative ways to fix the tooth. At Kool Smiles, we know how important your child's…Read Full Article
At Kool Smiles, we believe it is important to teach kids good dental health habits while they are young. That's why we offer educational activity sheets to make learning about oral health and…Read Full Article
When your child is missing a tooth, it can be difficult to chew or swallow food. Dental bridges fill the gap where a permanent tooth is missing. The cost of a dental bridge can…Read Full Article
Don't settle for a boring dentist office. At Kool Smiles, our offices are vibrant and fun so that kids can have a good time while they visit the dentist. We make…Read Full Article
Even though your kids are pretty good about taking care of their teeth, they still may have black stains from certain foods and drinks. Don't be discouraged! There are ways to…Read Full Article
Of course you should set a good example for your kids when it comes to brushing and flossing their teeth, but sometimes showing is not enough. Kids learn best from hands-on…Read Full Article
If you're looking for a good family dentist, look no further than Kool Smiles. With more than 120 locations across the country, we provide high-quality dental care at an affordable…Read Full Article