If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
Before you see your dentist for a tooth extraction, it is helpful to know how much it will likely cost. The average cost of a tooth extraction ranges from around $50…Read Full Article
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of sealants on children’s teeth. However, the average cost of sealants is between $35 and $60 per tooth. Sealants are…Read Full Article
For kids with braces, knowing how to properly floss their teeth is important to the overall health of their smile. Although it can be difficult to clean between the wires, using…Read Full Article
Tonsil stones will not go away on their own and can cause a number of problems if left untreated. If your child has tonsil stones, it is important to remove them…Read Full Article
Halitosis disease is another name for bad breath and can be caused by poor dental hygiene, poor diet, mouth breathing, or an underlying illness or infection. How can the symptoms of bad breath…Read Full Article
Grinding teeth is common in toddlers and small children, who have developing mouths and new teeth. Grinding teeth even has a name: bruxism. This condition usually goes away on its own,…Read Full Article
Children deserve a lifetime of healthy smiles, but sports injuries, nighttime grinding, and cavities could affect this. Mouth guards are one way that parents can protect your child's pearly whites. Here…Read Full Article
Children can learn how to floss teeth in five simple steps. Flossing helps keep teeth clean and prevents gingivitis and other infections. Although kids may make excuses for not flossing their…Read Full Article
Wisdom teeth can cause problems when there is not enough room in the mouth for them to come in properly. The best way to know when to get wisdom teeth removed…Read Full Article
Getting your child braces is a great way to improve your child's appearance and oral health, but it can be challenging for kids as well. In addition to altering their appearance, having…Read Full Article