If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
If you're a parent relying on Medicaid for your child's dental care, you may have trouble finding a dentist that will accept your coverage. However, that's not the case at Kool…Read Full Article
Many Americans live in "dental deserts" or areas without enough dentists. This means that parents have to travel to get dental care for their kids, or go without. This is why Kool Smiles opened…Read Full Article
Kool Smiles is a children's dentistry dedicated to providing quality service to children across the country at affordable prices. With over 120 convenient locations, we aim to bring quality child dental care…Read Full Article
Keeping your child's teeth healthy and clean is important for good hygiene, so it's good to know which dentists near you can help out. Choose Kool Smiles to be your child's…Read Full Article
With a MetLife dental insurance plan, you can find coverage easily for your children's dental treatments. At Kool Smiles, our MetLife general dentists can provide a wide variety of services…Read Full Article
What do you look for in cheap dental work besides low cost? You probably look for high quality and a kid-friendly office. At Kool Smiles, that's exactly what we provide at our conveniently located…Read Full Article
Looking for dental care without insurance can seem like a losing battle. With dental costs rising quickly and the number of patients with dental insurance decreasing, more and more people are…Read Full Article
If you're wondering how much braces cost, know that the exact amount will depend on your dentist, where you live, and type of braces your child gets. Braces are installed by dental…Read Full Article
For many Americans, finding a good dentist in their area can be hard enough. Finding a children's dentist that accepts Medicaid can feel impossible. But your search can begin —…Read Full Article
Searching for a dentist by name is a great way to find the dentist you are looking for. Whether it's because of the services they offer, the insurance plans they…Read Full Article
When looking at the Medicaid coverage map, it's clear that many areas—especially in the Southeast—have a low Medicaid acceptance rate. However, the dentists at Kool Smiles accept Medicaid at all…Read Full Article