If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
If your child has pain around his or her teeth, it may be time for a root canal and crown. But how much does root canal treatment cost? The average price of…Read Full Article
The health of your children's teeth is very important, so you should take your kids to the dentist even if you don't have insurance. Taking your child to the dentist may seem expensive,…Read Full Article
Although the cost of braces can vary, the average price of traditional metal braces for teeth in the U.S. ranges between $3,000 and $7,000. This price can rise if your child…Read Full Article
With or without insurance, the cost of a root canal can vary depending on your specific insurance plan and dentist. If your child is in need of a root canal, you can…Read Full Article
Behind teeth braces, also known as lingual braces, are braces that fit behind the teeth rather than in front. The perk of lingual braces is that they are not easily seen. However,…Read Full Article
If you are wondering what is causing your child's bleeding gums, take him or her to the dentist immediately for a dental exam. The most common cause of bleeding gums is…Read Full Article
If your child has swollen gums, you want to find out the cause as quickly as possible. Swollen gums can be a sign of a serious dental problem like gum…Read Full Article
Children deserve a special dental office—one that can provide high quality service in a fun and relaxed environment. Kool Smiles is a nationwide network of dental offices that treats children. All…Read Full Article
Tooth enamel protects your teeth from chewing, biting, crunching, and grinding. Although enamel is a hard protector of teeth, it can chip and crack. While enamel damage can be prevented,…Read Full Article
If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However,…Read Full Article
If you are searching for a nearby dentist for your child, there is likely a Kool Smiles in your neighborhood. Simply put in your city and state or zip code,…Read Full Article