If you notice that your child has bleeding gums when they brush or floss, this could be a sign that they have gum disease (gingivitis). Gingivitis causes irritation, redness and swelling of your gums. However, there are other reasons your child’s gums could be bleeding.
Read on to learn more about gum disease and what else could be causing your child’s gums to bleed.
As a parent, you want to find out what is causing your child’s gums to bleed and get them the treatment they need as soon as possible. Below is a list of possible causes of bloody gums:
1. Not enough vitamins. Children who don’t get enough iron or Vitamins A, B, C, D, or K may experience bleeding gums. Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is one of the best ways for your child to get vitamins. If you think that your child isn’t receiving enough vitamins, you should speak with his or her doctor as soon as possible.
2. Brushing teeth too hard. If your child has a habit of brushing too hard, you may want to get them a soft bristled toothbrush. When gums bleed—whether your child is a hard brusher or not—you should take him or her to see the dentist, as it could be a sign of gum disease. In most cases, healthy gums do not bleed when teeth are brushed.
3. Gum disease. The most common cause of bleeding gums—gum disease—can usually be prevented by brushing twice a day, visiting the dentist for regular checkups, and flossing daily. Gum disease usually forms as a result of bacteria buildup and can cause tooth decay.
4. Serious health problems. In rare cases, diseases such as diabetes, leukemia, and scurvy have been known to cause bloody gums.
5. Certain medications. Some medications can cause children’s gums to bleed. If your child is on any medication, speak to his or her doctor about possible side effects.
If your child’s gums are bleeding, it is important to take them to see a dentist to determine the cause.
Find a Kool Smiles in your area or call us today to make an appointment.
Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
The Health Site: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-10-causes-of-bleeding-gums/
If you're wondering how much braces cost, know that the exact amount will depend on your dentist, where you live, and type of braces your child gets. Braces are installed by dental…Read Full Article
If you are looking for a dentist that takes Medicaid, Kool Smiles should be your go-to choice. We proudly accept Medicaid, TRICARE, and other forms of payment. Understanding how Medicaid works is…Read Full Article
If you're looking for a dentistry for children, look to Kool Smiles. With more than 120 locations across the United States, you'll likely find a Kool Smiles office near you.…Read Full Article
Kool Smiles is a network of general and specialty dentists with over 120 locations across the U.S. We accept Medicaid, TRICARE, and Child Health Insurance Programs (CHIPs) at every location. Children enrolled in these…Read Full Article
Are you trying to find a dentist office that can provide care for your children? At Kool Smiles, we offer affordable, quality care at our 120 locations across the US.…Read Full Article
Medicaid helps millions of Americans afford proper dental care every year. Kool Smiles, a network of general dentists with a focus on children, accepts Medicaid at all of our locations. You can…Read Full Article
Dental offices can be difficult to find in some areas. Kool Smiles' mission is to do something about that. We have more than 120 locations in 15 states across the…Read Full Article
At Kool Smiles, our dentists focus on making dental care more affordable by accepting a wide range of insurance and payment options at each location. We have over 120 locations in the United…Read Full Article
For many Americans, finding a good dentist in their area can be hard enough. Finding a children's dentist that accepts Medicaid can feel impossible. But your search can begin —…Read Full Article
Searching for a dentist by name is a great way to find the dentist you are looking for. Whether it's because of the services they offer, the insurance plans they…Read Full Article
When looking at the Medicaid coverage map, it's clear that many areas—especially in the Southeast—have a low Medicaid acceptance rate. However, the dentists at Kool Smiles accept Medicaid at all…Read Full Article