How Long Does it Take to Get Braces?
How long does it take to get dental braces put on? In most cases, the entire procedure will take between one and two hours.
However, certain factors can influence the amount of time it takes, including the type of braces your child is getting and the severity of their alignment issues. Read on for more tips.
Understanding Braces: A Guide for Parents
Educating yourself about braces before your child's orthodontist appointment will give you a better idea of what to expect going in.
Here are some things to consider when going to your child's orthodontist appointment:
1. The type of braces your child wants
There are several types of braces to choose from, including:
- Metal Braces—These braces feature traditional metal brackets and wires, and are the least expensive braces option. Many orthodontists feature colored bands for a personal touch.
- Ceramic Braces—Similar in size and shape to metal braces, ceramic braces' brackets blend in with the natural color of your teeth. They also correct your alignment quicker than metal braces.
- Lingual Braces—These braces place the metal brackets on the inside of the mouth so they are not able to be seen.
- Invisalign—This is a nearly invisible plastic mouth guard that is custom-fit to your child’s teeth. Your child's options for eating are less strict with this option, although the aligners must be replaced every couple of weeks.
2. Braces aftercare
Your child’s teeth and mouth may be sore after his or her visit with the orthodontist. This discomfort typically lasts between one to two weeks. Here are some tips that will help your child adjust to having braces:
- Eat soft foods, liquids, and cold or chilled food for about five days
- Rinse mouth with saltwater to soothe sores several times a day
- Take Tylenol or Motrin for pain as needed
- Use orthodontic wax to help relieve pain
In most cases, your child will only have to wear braces for a year to two years. Talk to your child's orthodontist to get a better estimate for how long your child will need to wear braces.
At the end of your child's treatment, he or she will have a new found confidence and a bright new smile to last a lifetime.
Kool Smiles Offers Affordable Orthodontics Near You
Kool Smiles is a network of dental practices located throughout the United States. We have in-house orthodontists in many locations, and we offer no-cost braces consultations to determine the treatment option that best suits your child's needs.
Kool Smiles accepts CareCredit and most major insurance providers, including Medicaid, SCHIP, and TRICARE.
Call Kool Smiles today with any questions about braces treatment options, and schedule a no-cost consultation for your child.