What to Do if My Gums Are Swollen and Bleeding
If your child has swollen and bleeding gums, schedule a trip to the dentist. These symptoms could be a sign of gum disease or gingivitis, which is the less severe form of gum disease.
Your dentist can recommend the correct treatment and teach your child proper teeth cleaning habits that help prevent swollen and bleeding gums.
Causes of Swollen and Bleeding Gums
Here are some common causes of your child's bleeding and swollen gums:
- Gum disease (Gingivitis)—This is the main cause of swollen gums. Poor brushing and flossing can lead to gingivitis.
- Poor oral hygiene habits—Improper brushing and flossing habits can cause plaque buildup in your child’s mouth and result in swollen and bloody gums.
- Allergic reaction to toothpaste, mouthwash, or food—There may be an ingredient in one of these items that your child is allergic to, causing swollen gums.
- New medications—Swollen and bleeding gums may be a side effect of a new medication your child is taking. Consult with your doctor about the medication’s side effects and figure out if there are alternative options.
- Poor nutrition—If your child has low vitamin C levels, he or she can experience inflamed gums.
While there are many different reasons for why your child's gums are swollen and bleeding, a dentist will be able to determine the exact cause of your child’s oral problem.
Why Good Oral Care Is Important
When your children are young, it is important to teach them good dental hygiene habits to prevent severe issues in the future.
Healthy eating habits and proper teeth cleaning can help prevent swollen and bleeding gums in your child.
Your Kool Smiles dentist will happily teach them all about good brushing and flossing habits to keep their oral health in check.
Why Kool Smiles?
If your child is having issues with gum swelling and bleeding, your local Kool Smiles dentist can help. Our highly trained dentists will find the cause of your child's symptoms and recommend the necessary treatment.
Kool Smiles dentists also teach you and your child how to prevent these problems. With the right dental care, your kid will have a healthy smile for years to come.
All of our locations also offer:
- Brightly colored waiting rooms filled with toys and games
- Fully licensed professionals approved by their state’s Dental Board
- 97% patient satisfaction rating
- Affordable payment options like Medicaid, TRICARE, cash, and debit cards
Call Kool Smiles Today
Kool Smiles dentists are committed to children's dental care and providing an affordable, fun experience. Make an appointment for your child at your local Kool Smiles office by calling us today.
Our dentists will evaluate why your child’s gums are swollen and bleeding and recommend the necessary treatment.