What Is the Average Cost of Wisdom Tooth Removal Surgery?
The average cost of wisdom tooth removal surgery can vary depending on each patient's specific needs. That's why, when you're researching, you'll probably find a range of prices. A tooth that is easy to remove can cost as little as $75. Kool Smiles offers a number of ways to keep the cost of wisdom tooth removal as low as possible.
Why Are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that pop up in the back corners of the mouth long after adult teeth come in. Because these teeth arrive last, they can cause problems because they often come in:
- Misaligned—If this happens, the gums between the last tooth and the incoming wisdom tooth can become pinched, causing pain.
- At an angle—In this case, the wisdom tooth can hit the other teeth in the back of the mouth, which can cause permanent damage.
- Partially—This will leave an open hole in your child's mouth that can often cause bacterial infections.
How the tooth comes in, and when it is removed, can impact the cost of the surgery.
Typical Cost Ranges for Wisdom Tooth Removal
The cost of the surgery depends on how complex the tooth removal is.
- A simple removal can cost $75–$200 per tooth.
- If the tooth is impacted, it can cost $225–$600 per tooth.
- Some surgeons will offer a discount for removing all four teeth at once, which can save you $1,000 or more on the average cost of wisdom tooth removal surgery.
Be sure to talk to your orthodontist about the procedure process. Dental insurance will often cover a portion of these costs if the surgery is medically necessary. And, because wisdom teeth can cause such pain and damage to existing teeth, the removal is often required.
Talk to a Professional About Wisdom Teeth Costs
Even with all of this information, the only way to know for sure what your child's wisdom tooth removal will cost is to visit a dentist or oral surgeon. Your child's teeth are unique and will require a professional's opinion.
At Kool Smiles, we have a network of in-house dental specialists that can tell if your child will need to have their wisdom teeth removed and what it will cost. We have more than 120 locations nationwide for your convenience. Call Kool Smiles today to make your appointment!