What's the Average Cost of Wisdom Tooth Removal Surgery?
The average cost of wisdom tooth removal surgery can vary depending on each patient's specific needs. That's why, when you're researching, you'll probably find a range of prices. A tooth that isn't difficult to remove can cost as little as $75, while a more difficult to remove tooth could cost up to $600 or more.
Why Are Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that pop up later in life, in the back corners of the mouth. Because these teeth arrive last, they can cause problems because they often come in:
- Misaligned. If this happens, the gums between the last tooth and the incoming wisdom tooth can become pinched, causing pain.
- At an angle. In this case, the wisdom tooth can hit the other teeth in the back of the mouth, which can cause permanent damage to them.
- Partially. This will leave an open hole in your child's mouth that can often cause bacterial infections.
How the tooth comes in, and when it is removed, can impact the cost of the surgery.
Typical Cost Ranges for Wisdom Tooth Removal
The cost of the surgery depends on how complex the tooth removal is.
- A simple removal can cost $75-200 per tooth
- If the tooth is impacted, it can cost $225-600 per tooth
Some surgeons will give a package deal for removing all four teeth at once. The national average for that cost runs from $1,000-3,000, depending on the teeth.
Keep in mind, there is often also a fee to numb the area before the teeth are removed, or for anesthesia if the surgery is more difficult.
Dental insurance will often cover a portion of these costs if the surgery is medically necessary. And, because wisdom teeth can cause such pain and damage to existing teeth, the removal is often required.
Talk to a Professional About Wisdom Teeth Costs
Even with all of this information, the only way to know for sure what your child's wisdom tooth removal will cost is to visit a dentist or oral surgeon. Your child's teeth are unique and will require a professional's opinion.
At Kool Smiles, we have a network of in-house dental specialists that can tell if your child will need to have his or her wisdom teeth removed. We have more than 120 locations nationwide for your convenience. Give us a call at (855) 854-3621 to learn more about our services.