What Will My Child's Crown Lengthening Procedure Cost?
Crown lengthening may help to create a more "toothy" smile, but it comes at a cost. If you are interested in crown lengthening for your child for cosmetic purposes, you should expect to pay $1000 - $4000 for a full-mouth treatment. If the procedure is medically necessary, your insurance may cover some of the costs of crown lengthening and any additional costs for preparation and treatment after the procedure.
What Is Crown Lengthening?
Crown lengthening, or gum contouring, is a common surgery that lifts the gum line on the upper teeth. The procedure exposes more of the teeth underneath and makes them look longer.
During a crown lengthening procedure, a dentist first numbs the area and then removes some of the gum tissue. The procedure usually lasts about 30 minutes.
How Do I Know if My Child Needs Crown Lengthening?
There are three common reasons for crown lengthening.
- People who have tooth decay below the gum line may need crown lengthening to expose more of the tooth and allow the dentist to place a filling.
- Some individuals don't have enough of the tooth extending beyond the gum line to support a filling or a crown. Removing some of the gum raises the gum line and allows the dentist to repair the tooth.
- Some people seek crown lengthening to improve the appearance of smiles. Someone may have a gum line that is uneven or have a "gummy" smile.
Can I Afford Crown Lengthening?
How much you pay for crown lengthening for your child depends on a few different factors, including:
- how many teeth need to be lengthened
- the location of your child's dentist
- the expertise and experience of the person giving the surgery
- whether the procedure is medically necessary or if it performed to improve appearance only
Sometimes the surgery is more affordable because a filling or crown can treat the tooth decay. In this case, your insurance should pick up some of the cost.
Because insurance will not pay for cosmetic procedures, some dentists offer financing options such as discounts for paying in full by cash or payment plans to make the procedure more affordable.
Schedule a Crown Lengthening at Kool Smiles
Your dentist can discuss with you if crown lengthening is right for your child. Call Kool Smiles today to start a conversation with your local dentist about your child's dental care needs.
Everyday Health: http://www.everydayhealth.com/dental-health/cosmetic-dentistry/crown-lengthening.aspx
Cost Helper: http://health.costhelper.com/crown-lengthening.html
Dental Find: http://www.dentalfind.com/go/dental-crowns/article/why-is-crown-lengthening-needed.html