Does My Kid Really Need Crowns on Baby Teeth?
It's natural for a child's baby teeth to fall out and leave room for permanent teeth. However, when baby teeth fall out because of decay or damage, there can be serious consequences.
Crowns on baby teeth can help save the teeth and help prevent problems in a kid's oral development.
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a cap that is placed over the tooth and shaped to look and function just like a real tooth. Even though a baby tooth will fall out eventually, it's actually very important to keep baby teeth in place until they fall out naturally.
Why Are Baby Teeth Important?
Baby teeth are important because they:
- Act as space holders for permanent teeth
- Help guide permanent teeth into place
- Allow kids to chew food properly
- Help kids learn to speak properly during important developmental years
When Are Dental Crowns on Baby Teeth Necessary?
The most common reasons for placing crowns on baby teeth are to:
- Support and protect a severely decayed tooth that is too weak for a filling
- Cover and protect a tooth that is broken or badly chipped
How to Avoid Needing Crowns on Baby Teeth
Dental health starts early, and you can help your kids avoid damaged teeth and dental crowns by teaching them good dental habits.
Below are some habits you can teach your kids:
- Brush teeth twice everyday and floss
- Avoid biting and/or chewing on hard food like candy and ice
- Wear a mouth guard while playing sports
- See a dentist twice a year for check-ups and cleanings
Schedule an Appointment at Kool Smiles Today
Kool Smiles is a dentistry focused on children's dental care. We have over 120 locations around the US, and we're always accepting new patients. If you think your child needs crowns on his or her baby teeth, the kid-friendly dentists at Kool Smiles can help.
Call us today to find a Kool Smiles near you and make an appointment for your child.